The mountain ranges surrounding the Jiu Valley contain some of the most diverse plant and animal life in Europe. This is especially true of Retezat National Park and its protected 4,500 square acre UNESCO biosphere reserve area called “Gemenele”. Use the interactive multimedia encyclopedia below to learn all you want to know about every type of plants and animals.
- Grey wolf (Canis lupus)
- Brown bear (Ursus arctos)
- Eurasian lynx (Lynx lynx)
- Chamois (Rupicapra rupicapra)
- Elk (Cervus elaphus)
- European roe deer (Capreolus capreolus)
- Wildcat (Felis silvestris)